Thursday 16 May 2013

Didn't you wear that last weekend?

I have a confession. This week I came very close to committing the worst fashion blogger crime ever. I almost rewore an outfit. In fact, I'm kind of ashamed I didn't.


                Birthday suit                                                     Alternate outfit - and  awkward fist


Okay, here's my defence before you condemn me. Two Saturdays ago, I went for a night out with my friends. I'd spent all day planning the perfect outfit - a white lace crop and a lime green metallic skater skirt, complete with lace socks and wedges. Without tooting my own horn, it looked amazing. (Toot).

The night started off great, but it kind of dwindled into one of those 'non-nights' as soon as we left the first club. The second was only half open (apparently the downstairs toilet had flooded - ew) and it was absolutely dead apart from a handful overly overenthusiastic dancers who I'm sure were under-age.  Needless to say, we left pretty quickly. The third and final club was busier, but stuffed full of sausage ... where were all the women!? We called our taxi an hour earlier than planned. 

The company was awesome, but the vibe was kind of off that night. Seriously, what happened to Saturday nights? I couldn't help but feel I'd wasted a seriously cute outfit on a evening that hadn't gone quite to plan. Two weeks later, my birthday rolled around. Now, I have a vast collection of clothes so I wasn't short of options, but I just couldn't get that ensemble out of my head. It was the ideal birthday look. I was certainly in a pickle.

I bowed to the pressure and picked out a new outfit. I was happy with it, but I wondered why I felt I'd had to find something new to wear. I can't really place the reason why I didn't want to crack out my super outfit again - was it because there was pictorial evidence of me wearing it a fortnight before? Did I think people were going to assume they were my only garments? I actually have no idea. But something told me I couldn't wear it again until at least a months time. 

There is such a taboo around the re-wearing of an outfit, especially amongst bloggers. I've read so many  girls and guys posts where they feel they have to apologise for wearing the same item of clothing more than once. Isn't the point of being fashion bloggers creating different outfits out of what we have? And if, like me, you carefully picked out a look that you were really proud of, why should it be sentenced to never be worn again? 

I asked others what they thought and the responses were pretty one-sided. However one blogger, @LA_Kes, wisely tweeted; 'I'd say don't worry about it and do what your heart says on the day. You're too young for fashion wrinkles!' Well said. 

Do you feel weird re-wearing outfits? And what's your reasoning behind it?
 Later guys ..

5 comments:

  1. Love this post!
    Definitely a good topic :3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic! Why no re-wear the same piece of clothing? Or whole outfit? If you feel good in it, rock it. However, I think readers can get better idea how to style something if you incorporate it in your outfits. Also, it's more realistic, because I don't really have a walk-in closet (but I would love to) and unlimited items to wear. Don't worry, be happy ;)
    I hope my comment makes any sense :P
    X Deja

    Deja Zu

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) very beautifull, i like your blog posts. and you re very sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betul's got a crush on you lol. Thinking for yourself rather than doing what's always been done means you're ahead of the crowd. Forgive them if they take a while to catch up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outfits! You're right, bloggers always have to keep changing things up. It's tough, but sometimes accessories can change the whole outfit. I did a similar post of this topic, please check it out:
    http://brandnamesus.com/2/post/2013/04/second-chances.html

    Xoxo,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...